Image 360 St Michaels Parish Church Linlithgow
Image 360 St Michaels Parish Church Linlithgow Scotland, 360 photo, is one of the largest burgh churches in the Church of Scotland. It is one of two parishes serving the West Lothian county town of Linlithgow, the other being St. Ninian's Craigmailen.
King David I of Scotland granted a charter for the establishment of the church in 1138. The church was built on the site of an older church and was consecrated in 1242. Following a fire in 1424, most of the present building dates from the mid 15th century, with extensive restorations in the 19th century. Parts of the Church of St Michael were brought into use as they were completed, and the church was completed in 1540.
Interior photography locations from this photographers guide to Scotland details of good photography locations uk, captured on Ricoh Theta V
Download places to photograph in Scotland.
DOWNLOAD BUTTON for this location at the BOTTOM of this page
Select another photo location here
Built immediately to the south of Linlithgow Palace, see map below, the church was much favoured as a place of worship by Scottish Kings and Queens. Mary, Queen of Scots, was born in Linlithgow Palace on 8 December 1542 and was baptised in St Michael’s Church.
In 1559, at an early stage of the Scottish Reformation, the Protestant Lords of the Congregation destroyed the statues adorning the exterior and interior of the church as signs of "popishness", and defaced the statue of St Michael which formed part of the structure.
Following the Reformation, the interior of the church was reordered. Some traces of pre-Reformation artefacts can still be detected. In 1646, Oliver Cromwell's troops stabled their horses within the nave. Following the departure of the troops, considerable restoration was required.
Early 19th Century
By the early 19th century the church was in a very poor physical condition. Although repairs were made, many of the historic features of the church were destroyed, the interior walls were whitewashed, a plaster ceiling replaced a fine 16th-century one and in 1821 the stone Crown Tower (a crown steeple similar to that of St Giles' Cathedral) had to be dismantled. While other repairs were completed and the church was rededicated in 1896, the tower was too weakened for restoration of the original crown steeple.
By the late 19th century tastes had changed radically, with the installation of the church's first post-Reformation stained glass windows. In 1964, an aluminium crown was installed (replacing the Crown Tower removed in 1821).
The church has been served by some notable former ministers, including the Very Revd Dr David Steel (father of the politician David Steel) who was Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland in 1974. The current minister is the Revd Dr Stewart Gillan.
|Location||St Michael's Parish Church Linlithgow|
|How to get here||St Michael's Parish Church is located at the end of Kirkgate, Linlithgow|
|Where to park||Carpark next to St Michael's Parish Church Office, parking charge in operation.|
|What to shoot||Inside of this church|
|When to shoot||As the shots are all internal and opening hours is during daytime, the time of day is not relevent.|
|This image was captured at 11:40am and thechurch was almost empty.|
|Camera||Ricoh Theta V 360 degree camera|
|Lens||1.3 mm (4mm on 35mm equivalent)|
|Shutter Speed||1/10 sec|
All comments in the section at the bottom of this page please